Sunday 30th August - Blue House Farm and Hanningfield Reservoir

 Today I travelled over to Blue House Farm in Fambridge.

Unfortunately when I arrived I discovered that the hides were not open which was a disappointment, but there was still the possibility of a whinchat or wheatear which I have seen over there in the fields and on the wire fences at this time of year in the past.  Although I did not find any wheatears this time there were 3 whinchats present which meant the trip was not a complete waste of time.

After an hour or so I decided to move on to Hanningfield Reservoir which is about 12 miles away from Blue House Farm.  I was hoping to see some migrant waders there but the only waders I saw were common sandpipers, a black tailed godwit and a lapwing. However, someone I met told me that there was a garganey visible from the Rawl hide and sure enough when I got there it was still present, right in front of the hide at the edge of the water. 

So it was a successful morning after all, although I still need to find a wheatear in the next few weeks. 

whinchat
whinchat
whinchat 
garganey
garganey
garganey


  


Comments

Jen Holter said…
Plenty of Wheatear down our way...

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 5th January 2024: Pesky Parakeets

Sunday 27th June: Roller in Suffolk

Wednesday 8th November 2023: Brazil Atlantic Rainforest 1